Jose Cuervo Margaritas for Kindergarten Snack Time?

  • Yes, this really happened.

In Livonia, Michigan, parents became outraged at Grand River Academy Livonia when a Kindergartner brought ready-to-drink Jose Cuervo margaritas for snack time, and multiple students drank from them.

One of the parents is Alexis Smith. Her and another mom, Dominique Zanders, were baffled when they found out about what happened. Smith’s daughter had a Dixie cup full of the drink, and said she had ‘four or five sips.’

“She felt woozy, a little dizzy,” Zanders said.

Each of the daughters thought that they were given juice during the snack session. They were really drinking premade margaritas, brought by a kindergartener classmate.

“The girl poured it in her cup and she drank it and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and she went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face,” Zanders said.

The little girl had brought the single-serve, premade Jose Cuervo cocktail with her to school in her backpack.

“I had a small conversation with my daughter – nothing big – and she told me the girl knew it was liquor,” Smith said.

The parents were understandably angry, but not with the child. They’re directing their feelings toward school officials at Grand River Academy. They want to know how it could have happened, and they want to know how it could have been prevented.

A statement released by the school says, in part:

“While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible. It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks.”

The school called poison control to take the correct next steps.

“I’m not sure if they are short-staffed or whatever, it shouldn’t have happened,” Zanders said.

The school contacted the parents just after the incident, letting them know that the kids were all physically okay, and that they would hand out discipline, if necessary.

Smith and Zanders are thinking differently though, and they think it’s the parents of the kindergartner to that should take the blame. “If your child knows what it is, nothing wrong with it – but they should know not to touch it,” Smith said. “That it’s not for kids.”