8 Unbelievable Modern Day Miracles

1The "mysterious voice" which led cops to discover child who survived for 14 hours in submerged car

Four police officers who helped rescue a baby from an overturned car in a Utah river in March 2015 claim that they heard an unexplained voice calling from the car.

The accident occurred after a car driven by Lynn Jennifer Groesbeck, 25, ran off the road and into the Spanish Fork River. Her 18-month-old, Lily, was found in her car seat upside down just above frigid river water and had been there for a least 12 hours.

First responders on the scene, including police officer Tyler Beddoes, told CBS affiliate KUTV that "someone said, 'Help me!' from inside that car."

"It wasn't just in our heads," officer Jared Warner confirmed. "To me, it was plain as day. I remember hearing a voice that didn't sound like a child, just saying, "Help me!'"

Firefighters said they heard it too.

All were emphatic the voice came from the vehicle. It looked as though no one could have survived, but the voice "prompted us to lift the car between the three officers and firemen," Police Lt. Matt Johnson said.

Johnson confirmed the voice could not have come from 25-year-old Lynn Jennifer Groesbeck, who was dead and most likely killed on impact.

The baby was in a car seat in the backseat on the passenger side. The water was so cold that the rescue crew members could only stay in for short periods of time. After a firefighter jumped into the river to cut the infant free, the first responders formed a relay and handed her from one person to the next until she was on shore and able to get care.

Authorities don't know how the girl survived hanging upside-down for 14 hours in freezing temperatures with no food or water and skimpy clothing, let alone how to explain the voice that all the rescuers heard.

Little Lily has since made a full recovery and is back with her family. "It's a miracle," Beddoes told the station's news crew. "She was needed for sure elsewhere."

2The woman who came back to life after having no pulse for 45 minutes

After giving birth via C-section in 2014, Ruby Graupera-Cassimiro fell unconscious from a rare amniotic fluid embolism. The embolism – when amniotic fluid leaks into the bloodstream, leading to blood clots and cardiac arrest – is not completely understood by doctors and is usually fatal.

Doctors attempted to revive Graupera-Cassimiro for three hours. After 45 minutes without a pulse, her family was called into the operating room to say their goodbyes, but just before doctors planned to declare her dead, her heart started beating again.

"She spontaneously resuscitated," Boca Raton Regional Hospital spokesman Thomas Chakurda said. "We had brought the family in. We had announced to them that we had done all we could."

Doctors are calling Graupera-Cassimiro's survival a "miracle." Even more amazing, she has not suffered any neurological damage and is on her way to a full recovery.

All I know is that I'm grateful to be here," Graupera-Cassimiro said. "I don't know why I was given this opportunity, but I'm very grateful for it."

3The boy who drowned and was revived unharmed after 101 minutes of CPR

22-month-old Gardell Martin was playing outside with his brothers near his parents home in Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania in March 2015 when he went missing. His mother Rose did a quick search of the property before realizing her young son had likely fallen into a creek on their property, which was swollen because of melting snow. She called 911 while her two teenage daughters began walking downstream in a frantic search for the toddler.

Gardell was found by a neighbor, a quarter-mile away, unconscious and caught up in a tree branch, with water gushing around him.

An ambulance crew arrived moments later, found no pulse and began CPR. Resuscitation would continue, unbroken, for 101 minutes — in the ambulance, at a community hospital, aboard a medical helicopter and, finally, in the emergency room of Janet Weis, the pediatric wing of Geisinger Medical Centre, where a team of some 30 doctors and nurses sprang into action.

The little boy's body temperature was 77 degrees when he arrived, more than 20 degrees below normal (normal is 98.6). Gardell's profound hypothermia worked to his advantage, dramatically slowing his metabolism and giving his organs “some degree of protection from cardiac arrest." Armed with that knowledge, doctors continued CPR while slowly warming his body. At around 82 degrees, they detected a pulse.

Against all odds, his heart had restarted.

Little Gardell regained consciousness — and his brain function was normal, stunning doctors. Dr. Maffei, head of the pediatric wing, says he has never encountered such a recovery in his 23 years as a doctor.

4The man who was thrown from a car and returned home after an unexplained recovery

Karen Kirby thought her son had died on June 7, 2014. In fact, he was dead when he arrived at University of Virginia Medical Center.

Grayson Kirby was thrown from a car at the Mid-Atlantic Power Festival in Ruckersville, Virginia. Doctors had little hope that he would survive because the accident crushed his lungs, ribs and nearly every bone in his body. The machines that Kirby was hooked up to were the only things keeping him alive.

The family formed a Facebook page asking everyone to pray for him. The prayers turned into dozens of fundraisers. Ten days later, on June 17, Kirby opened his eyes. Soon after, he mouthed the words, “I love you,” to his father. From that point on, the family knew Kirby was going to be OK.

Kirby was transferred to Sheltering Arms Hospital in Hanover after leaving UVA Medical Center and is on the mend.

5The little boy who came back to life after being held by his parents

On March 25, 2010, Kate Ogg gave birth to twins Jamie and Emily just 27 weeks into her pregnancy. Although Emily survived the birthing process, Jamie was born in distress and was not breathing. Doctors spent 20 minutes trying to resuscitate Jamie, but were unable to do so. They told Kate and her husband David that Jamie had died. Nurses placed Jamie's unmoving body onto his mother's chest so she could say her goodbyes.

As Kate and David thought they were extending a farewell to their deceased child, a remarkable thing occurred – after about five minutes or so, Jamie began moving. Nonetheless, the doctor present informed his parents such movements were simply reflex actions and were not indicative of life.

Kate and David asked to spend an extra minute or two with the child they believed was on his way out of the world. Those few minutes turned into two hours, and something even more remarkable than Jamie's previous movements took place – the supposedly dead child opened his eyes.

At this point, the couple started to question if Jaime was dead after all but were still told by the hospital that what they were seeing were simply reflex actions. Eventually, they had to resort to a little white lie to get the doctor to come back. They told him they had come to terms with the baby's death.

Once inside the room, the doctor was in disbelief when he arrived back at the bedside. "He got a stethoscope, listened to Jamie's chest and just kept shaking his head. He said, 'I don't believe it, I don't believe it.'"

Jamie was indeed alive. Doctors believe the warmth of Kate's body and the stimulation that the baby may have received from hearing her heartbeat made all the difference between life and death.

Jamie and his sister Emily are now happy, healthy five years olds. The little boy has not encountered one medical problem in the five years since his birth.

6The boy who fell down a mountain and survived with only ice burns

Jack Fox, 14, stopped to take a photo on a rocky ledge during a school ski trip to Flattach, near Salzburg, Austria, in February 2015. A group of eight children were with an Austrian ski instructor when they took their skis off so they could take pictures of the scenery. But as Jack lined up his photo, he slid over the edge and plunged down the mountain-side.

Despite falling the equivalent of two and a half Eiffel Towers, the Year 10 student survived with just ice burns to his arms.

Fox said, "I was crashing through ice and bouncing off rocks. It was terrifying. It felt like I was falling forever. I kept thinking 'How much more of this can I take?'"

"Eventually I came to a halt. I checked everywhere to make sure I hadn't broken anything and it all seemed fine."

His cries for help were heard by an extreme skier and rescuers, who quickly arrived and airlifted him off the mountain.

He was later handed the smashed ski helmet that saved his life, which had virtually disintegrated during the fall.

7The pope who turned centuries old dried blood into liquid

Did Pope Francis actually perform a miracle while at a mass in March 2015? Well, half a miracle at least, according to a Roman Catholic cardinal.

During Mass on Saturday, March 21, 2015, the pope was given a vial of dried blood belonging to St. Gennaro, the city's patron saint. The archbishop said that when Francis kissed the glass, the blood half-liquified and the cardinal declared it a miracle. The pope then joked that he and his congregation had to work harder since "the saint only loves us half-way."

St. Gennaro was martyred in AD 305. The church's followers believe that with enough prayer the preserved blood will liquefy when it's put on display during the three feast days celebrated each year. March 21, 2015 was the first time the blood had liquefied in the papal presence since 1848, when it did so in front of Pope Pius IX.

8The dog who walked 20 blocks to the hospital where her owner was recovering from surgery

Sissy the mini schnauzer walked 20 blocks by herself to visit her owner in the hospital, but how did she know where to go?

For this, we have no answer.

The dog, you see, had no idea where her owner was. Simply no clue, but she did indeed waltz right into Mercy Medical Center in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in search of owner Nancy Franck, who was recovering from surgery. Sissy was caught on security footage entering the building through two automatic doors and hustling through the lobby.

Franck had not gone to the hospital that day, but two weeks before. Her husband Dale was home, shouldering the duties of caring for Sissy and her brother Barney while Nancy recovered. That morning before Sissy showed up at the hospital, Dale realized that Sissy wasn't in the house and was beside himself.

Dale had no clue where Sissy had gone, but four hours later, he had his answer. The little dog had made her way to the hospital. Security Officer Conrad called him, thanks to the tag on Sissy's collar.

“She was on a mission that night to see her mom," Dale said, "but she couldn't find the right elevator to take."