9 Memorable Riots in Sports History Caught on Video

1Ten Cent Beer Night (1974 )

Ten Cent Beer Night was a promotion held by Major League Baseball's Cleveland Indians during a game against the Texas Rangers at Cleveland Stadium on Tuesday, June 4, 1974. The idea behind the promotion was to attract more fans to the game by offering 12 oz. cups of beer for just 10 cents each (the regular price was 65 cents) with a limit of six per purchase.

The great promotion drew 25,134 fans to Cleveland Stadium for the game, twice the number expected.

Not surprisingly, the inebriated crowd grew more and more unruly. As the game progressed, fans ran onto the field and caused problems. A woman ran out to the Indians' on-deck circle and flashed her breasts. A naked man sprinted to second base as Grieve hit his second home run of the game. A father and son pair ran onto the outfield and mooned the fans in the bleachers one inning later.

In addition, rioters pelted the players with cups, bottles, rocks, popcorn containers, hot dogs, radio batteries, folding chairs, and lit firecrackers.

However, with a crowd that had been consuming as much beer as it could for nine innings, the situation finally came to a head. A drunken fan ran onto the field and attempted to steal a Texas outfielder's cap. Upon seeing this, a large number of intoxicated fans, some armed with knives, chains, and portions of stadium seats that they had torn apart, surged onto the field while others hurled bottles from the stands. Hundreds of fans surrounded the outnumbered Rangers.

Realizing that the Rangers' lives might be in danger, the Indians' manager ordered his players to grab bats and help the Rangers, attacking the team's own fans in the process.

2Disco Demolition Night (1979)

Disco Demolition Night was a promotion scheduled during the doubleheader between the Chicago White Sox and the Detroit Tigers at Comiskey Park on July 12, 1979. The admission price was 98 cents plus a disco 45 or LP which would be destroyed between the two games.

Almost 80,000 fans filed into Comiskey Park for the nighttime doubleheader, the largest crowd of the season and well above the stadium's capacity; organizers had expected 35,000.

The destruction of thousands of disco records in center field started after the Tigers won the first game. However, the large bin set up to collect the records quickly overfilled so fans took their records inside with them, where they began using them as frisbees. Subsequently, firecrackers, cherry bombs, and empty beer bottles began to fly. Euphoric and uncontrolled fans overran the pitch, tore out the grass, built campfires, stole the bases, and overturned the batting cage.

Police in riot gear eventually quelled the crowd. Six fans were injured and 39 more were arrested.

3The Stanley Cup Finals (1993)

On June 9, 1993, the Montreal Canadiens beat the Los Angeles Kings to win their 24th Stanley Cup title. The series marked Los Angeles' first trip to the Stanley Cup finals. It was also the 100th anniversary of the first awarding of the Cup, and the last time that a Canadian team took home the big prize. However, what people remember is the riot that ensued.

In the epicenter of the riots, stores were looted and 47 police cars were damaged, 8 of which were completely destroyed. Rioters broke windows, looted stores, and set fires. The riots caused $2.5 million dollars in damage (approximately $3.5 million dollars today). That night officers made 115 arrests and 168 people were injured, including 49 police officers.

4Bowe vs. Golota - Madison Square Garden (1996)

On July 11, 1996, there were no winners in Madison Square Garden.

The fight started at the end of the seventh round, when Andrew Golota finally was disqualified for persistent blows below the belt, making Riddick Bowe the winner.

Golota and Bowe had hardly returned to their corners when a fight broke out inside the ring. The first punch, aimed at people in Golota's corner, appeared to be thrown by someone in Bowe's entourage.

However, within seconds dozens of supporters of both fighters and a wave of screaming fans invaded the ring, scuffling with each other. Suddenly, Golota's silver-haired trainer, Lou Duva, 74, collapsed after being caught in a tornado of angry fans. Paramedics struggled through the crowd with a stretcher to get him out of the arena.

5Accra Sports Stadium Disaster (2001)

On May 9, 2001, this terrible event in Ghana took the life of 127 people, making it the worst stadium disaster in African history.

During a match between Ghana's two most successful soccer clubs, the Accra Hearts of Oak Sporting Club and Asante Kotoko, the home team scored two late goals to defeat Kotoko 2–1.

Totally disappointed, Kotoko's fans threw plastic seats and bottles onto the playing field. The police response to this crowd disturbance was to fire tear gas into the crowd. Panic ensued and the resulting stampede led to the deaths of 127 people due to compressive asphyxia.

Reports claim that medical staff had already left the stadium, since the incident happened near the end of the match. Also, some gates were locked, preventing escape.

6Tigre vs. Nueva Chicago (2007)

On June 27, 2007, while leading 2-1 in the game and 3-1 on the aggregate, the soccer team Tigre was on course to be promoted to Argentina's top flight when they were awarded an injury-time penalty.

The Nueva Chicago fans decided that they had seen enough and they stormed the pitch before the penalty could be taken. The situation soon descended into chaos as a fight that began inside the stadium spilled onto the streets, causing a large traffic jam.

A 41-year-old man died after being hit on the head by a thrown stone. Seventy-eight fans were detained, ten policemen were hurt, and the Nueva Chicago stadium was shut down immediately.

7LA Lakers' NBA Championship (2010)

On June 17, 2010, after the Lakers dramatically beat the Boston Celtics 83-79 to win the NBA championship, a euphoric celebration turned rowdy in scattered sections of the city. Raucous revelers hurled rocks and bottles at officers, set fires, broke the windows of several businesses and cars, and jumped on vehicles.

There were 15 rubbish fires, one vegetation fire, three vehicle fires, and 18 medical aid requests for people who were ill or injured. One police officer suffered a broken nose after someone threw an object at him.

8The Stanley Cup Finals, Again (2011)

On Wednesday June 15, 2011, a riot broke out in the downtown core of Vancouver after the Stanley Cup finals.

Wait a minute! There was another riot during the celebration of the Stanley Cup? It's just further proof that people never learn.

At least 140 people were injured during the incident, one critically, with at least four people being stabbed, nine police officers receiving injuries, and 101 people getting arrested that night. 16 more arrests were made following the event.

The riot began to take shape when some spectators threw bottles and other objects at the large screens in the viewing area, burning Boston Bruins flags and Canuck jerseys and overturning a vehicle.

Fist fights broke out when people who were standing on porta-potties fell after others tipped the porta-potties over. People began jumping on the first overturned car, and then it was set on fire. With a crowd of onlookers chanting "burn the truck," a second vehicle in the same area was lit ablaze. In total, 17 cars were burned, including two police cars. In addition, windows were smashed in a bank and various businesses along the West Georgia corridor, some of which were also looted.

9Egyptian Premier League Football (2012)

On February 1, 2012, a massive riot occurred at Port Said Stadium in Port Said, Egypt following an Egyptian premier league football match between the Al-Masry and Al Ahly clubs.

After the game, fans of Al-Masry invaded the pitch to celebrate the team's home win. Al-Masry fans violently attacked Al-Ahly fans using knives, swords, clubs, stones, bottles, and fireworks as weapons.

On January 26, 2013, the Port Said court sent the files of 21 defendants to the Mufti, a verdict equivalent to a death sentence, indicating that only the Mufti's approval is required for the death sentence. A verdict against the other 52 defendants was postponed until March 9, 2013.

As expected, when the judge announced the sentence there was an outburst of emotion from the families of the defendants. Some parents fainted from shock.

The Ahly ultra-fans celebrated the verdict by carrying out demonstrations praising the sentence in front of their club branch in Zamalek and asking for the trial of the officers who were involved in the disaster, resulting in clashes with the police. Police shot tear gas to disperse the protesters. The incident resulted in the deaths of two police officers and 20 civilians, with over 250 people being injured.