8 Amazing Newborns Who Survived the Impossible


1The newborn baby who was rescued from a toilet pipe in China

A newborn boy is recovering in a Chinese hospital after being rescued from a sewage pipe below a squat toilet by firefighters, who sawed off an L-shaped section and then delicately dismantled it to free the trapped baby.

A tenant heard the baby's cries in the public restroom of a residential building in Zhejiang province in eastern China and notified authorities. A video of the two-hour rescue that followed was broadcast widely on Chinese news programs and websites.

The child — named Baby No. 59 from the number of his hospital incubator — was reported safe in a nearby hospital, and news of the rescue prompted an outpouring from strangers who came to the hospital with diapers, baby clothes, powdered milk and offers to adopt the child. The baby weighed 2.8 kilograms (6.2 pounds) and still had his placenta attached to his body, reports said. His heart rate was low and there were grazes on his head and limbs, but he was largely unscathed.

It was not immediately clear how the baby ended up in the toilet, but police said they were treating the case as an attempted homicide.

2The "miracle" baby born two weeks before the legal abortion limit, who clung to life against all odds

At 18 months old, Amillia Taylor is already entering the terrible twos. She is, her parents say with a smile, a "proper little madam." However, it's a fighting spirit which has served Amillia well, because this bright, beguiling toddler was born just 21 weeks and six days into her gestation - a whole two weeks before the existing abortion cut-off.

She is the world's youngest premature baby ever to survive, and the image of her tiny feet poking out between the fingers of a doctor's hand were used to support calls for the lowering of the 24-week legal limit on abortion. When she arrived, Amillia weighed less than 10 oz and was just nine-and-a-half inches long, with skin which tore like rice paper.

The only reason the baby received treatment was because the mother desperately lied to persuade doctors to try to save her.

3The baby who was found crying in the morgue 12 hours after being declared dead

Luz Milagros Veron – a name that means "Miracle Light" in English – is a strong one year old baby with an amazing birth story. Doctors said the baby showed no signs of life when she was born three months premature, and quickly sent her to the morgue. She's alive today because her parents insisted on seeing her body to say goodbye. After 12 hours inside a sealed coffin, she moved and let out a tiny cry. She was cold as ice, but far from dead. Since then, Luz Milagros has grown and become stronger.

The parents had planned to name the baby Lucia Abigail, but changed it to Luz Milagros after the incident.

4The baby who survived after being buried for 24 hours in an armadillo burrow

In 2006, in a bizarre case, local police found a newborn baby abandoned in an armadillo burrow in a small town in the southern part of Brazil. The baby spent up to 24 hours inside the armadillo burrow before he was discovered. When found, only the baby boy's head was sticking out of the ground, the placenta was still attached to his body, and a group of flies had gathered around his head.

Authorities tracked down the baby's mother, 40 year-old Lucinda Ferreira Guimar?es. Guimar?es initially denied being the mother of the newborn baby and never told officials why she buried her baby boy alive. She is the mother of four other children and her youngest is five years old.

The armadillo burrow where he was buried was about 300 yards from Guimaraes' house. Police started searching for the child when neighbors indicated Guimaraes had blood on her dress and was no longer visibly pregnant. Officials initially thought that the baby boy was dead, but he was sleeping and began to cry as soon as dirt was removed from his mouth.

5The newborn who survived a fall through a toilet onto train tracks

In what has rightly been declared a “miracle,” a newborn baby girl survived a fall onto train tracks in India after being born in the train's lavatory. Pregnant woman Rinku Debi Ray was travelling with her husband and four-year-old to her parents' home in Bihar, where she planned to deliver her second child, when she felt sharp stomach pains. She went to the washroom to alleviate them, and suddenly gave birth. The baby fell into the lavatory bowl and through the flap onto the tracks under the speeding train. Ray ran out of the lavatory and jumped from the carriage to find the child. Her husband, who pulled the emergency cord after seeing her jump, found her by the train tracks cradling the newborn girl in her arms. Mother and daughter are recovering from the ordeal in a hospital.

6The newborn who survived an eight-story fall after being tossed out by its mother

A newborn baby miraculously survived an eight-story fall after he was tossed down by his mother. The frantic mother tossed her newborn baby down a chute in order to get rid of him without anyone knowing.

The baby survived after landing on a pile of garbage that proved to be a cushion for him, breaking the fall. The housing project's trash chute was jammed due to too much garbage - had it been clear, the baby would have died. A maintenance worker who was working nearby heard the baby's cries coming from the trash compactor and rushed to save the baby. The newborn was taken to the Brooklyn Hospital and, according to reports, is in stable condition.

The incident took place at the Walt Whitman Houses which is where the baby's mother, Laquasia Wright, 18, lives along with her mother and other relatives. According to neighbors, the pregnancy was being kept a secret from everyone in the building.

7The newborn who survived a collision that killed its mom, dad, and big brother

On a Sunday night in March 2012, Gabriel James Wilcox was born shortly after 10 p.m., weighing a little less than 7 pounds and measuring 19 inches long. Two days later, the infant became an orphan when the car that his parents, Marty and Elisa Wilcox, were driving was involved in a head-on crash that also killed his 3-year-old brother.
The baby was born healthy. Two days later, the couple was told they could take their newborn home. Their older son, Marty "Junior" Wilcox, the 3-year-old, was also along for the trip. The family of four left the hospital. They were en route to visit Elisa's parents, Brad and Angela Hartwig in Barnett. Angela Hartwig, who stayed away from the hospital because she'd been under the weather, was eager for their arrival.

A couple of worrisome hours passed. Then Hartwig received a call from the coroner.
Miller County Coroner Rick Callahan told her that Marty, 36, and Elisa, 27, were pronounced dead at the scene. The 3-year-old was taken by ambulance to Lake Regional Hospital and died a short time later.

Gabriel, only 40 hours old, was thrown from the vehicle. He was taken by ambulance to the same hospital but then released to the Hartwigs hours later.

All the adults in the crash were wearing seat belts, while the 3-year-old was secured in a booster seat and the baby was in an infant car seat. The Pontiac driven by Marty Wilcox was hit head-on by a Toyota that crossed the center line. Emily Frakes, 19, also of Eldon, was driving the Toyota.

8The baby who survived a bullet in the chest and going without food or water for three days

When one couple in Argentina thought the world was going to end due to global warming, they decided the best thing they could do to protect their children from such a terrible fate was to end their lives. To that point, Francisco Lotero and Miriam Coletti shot their two-year old in the back, their seven-month old daughter in the chest and themselves in the head. Three days later, police showed up after a neighbor let them know about the terrible odor emitting from their apartment.

While the toddler and his parents were definitely deceased, the infant had not only survived a shot to the chest, but also going without food or water for three days. Amazingly, once it was taken to the hospital and treated, its condition started to improve almost immediately and he ended up being completely fine.