Smegma also coats the skin against microbial and bacterial invaders. It tends to be clear and odorless when clean, but sometimes builds up and becomes opaque and smelly, which is why this helpful secretion has a few bad names. In fact, letting it build up can be harmful as the waste it creates can irritate your genitals.
If you clean your genitals with water and mild soap on a regular basis, smegma can be your very misunderstood, icky, and unmentionable, friend. (Source 1 | Source 2 | Photo)
Mucus lubricates your airways so you can breathe properly, and also protects your gastrointestinal tract so you can digest your food. The stringy, sticky stuff also works to trap bacteria, dust, pollen, and other unmentionables you breathe in that shouldn't be in your lungs. It even has antibodies and enzymes that kill bacteria and viruses to prevent you from getting sick.
A healthy body produces a half a gallon of mucus every day, with your nose pushing out a new batch every 20 minutes. Most of it is swallowed before you even notice. However, when your body is irritated by an allergen or a virus, you start producing mucus of a thinner consistency to force out the offending intruder, which is why you notice having a runny nose. Sometimes, however, you might instead get congested with thicker mucus that doesn't slide down your throat. This tends to be a result of dehydration, a common side effect of sickness, and why your doctor always tells you to hydrate when you don't feel well.
(Source 1 | Source 2 | Photo)
While people are starting to accept that not all bacteria are harmful, hence the proliferation of probiotics, most still overwhelmingly associate bacteria with disease. But the reality is that fewer than 15% of the bacteria in our bodies can cause illness, and the other 85% helps us survive or, at very least, doesn't hurt us.
Good bacteria helps us break down and digest our food, boosts our immune system, synthesizes vitamins essential to our survival, and keeps vaginas free from a number of illnesses, including yeast infections.
(Source 1 | Source 2 | Source 3 | Source 4)
Vomiting can cause dehydration and can sometimes be a warning a more serious illnesses, so if you can't hold liquid down or if you have been vomiting repeatedly for more than 24 hours, you should probably see a doctor. But if you occasionally have to throw up after drinking too much or eating something sketchy, don't be upset about vomiting—be glad that your body is trying to protect you! (Source 1 | Source 2 | Photo)
Earwax moisturizes the ear canal and protects your ear drums from dirt, dead skin cells and bacteria. The last third of the ear canal is where you wax is produced, and wax travels towards the ear opening when left alone. Using a Q-Tip often pushes the wax past where it's produced and traps it so it can no longer escape. This can lead to pain and serious hearing problems that will only be relieved when you or your doctor manages to eject all that built up earwax from the ear canal. (Source 1 | Source 2 | Source 3 | Photo)
Note that blood blisters are different, as they are generally not caused by friction or burns and are, obviously, filled with blood. In rare cases, large water blisters may need to be drained or may get infected, and in these cases you should probably see a doctor. Also, see a doctor if you have multiple blisters all over your body that have not been caused by burns or friction, as this can be a sign of illness. (Source 1 | Source 2 | Photo)
While many people associate sweat with stench, sweat itself is just water with a tiny amount of sugar, salt and other minerals—in other words, it doesn't actually stink. The reason so many people stink after sweating is that sweat mixes with bacteria on your skin and causes a reaction. Unsurprisingly, areas like armpits tend to have more bacteria, which is why they tend to be noticeably rank when you sweat a lot. (Source 1 | Source 2 | Source 3 | Source 4 | Photo)