1In a Strange Ironic Twist, a Firefighter Succumbs to Spontaneous Human Combustion
George got his wish. When his son visited a few days later, he found the windows browned and the doorknob warm. Inside, he found his father reduced to ashes in his bed. One rib and his skull remained, though it was inexplicably shrunken. Everything else in the room was intact.
George was a known drinker and used an oxygen tank, but it was not in use at the time of his death. A pack of matches were found next to to the tank but had never ignited.
(Source | Photo)
2Coroner Officially Declares an Irish Man's Cause of Death as Spontaneous Human Combustion
After Faherty's autopsy, the coroner concluded, "This fire was thoroughly investigated and I'm left with the conclusion that this fits into the category of spontaneous human combustion, for which there is no adequate explanation."
3FBI Claims the "Wick Effect" is a Possible Cause of an Elderly Woman's Death
An investigation by local police found that while she was totally burned, the rest of the room remained untouched. Stumped as to why nothing else burned in a room in which temperatures exceeded 3000 degrees Fahrenheit, the FBI were called in. They concluded that Mary Reeser was a victim of the "wick effect," in which the human body is destroyed by fire as the clothing of the victim soaks up melted human fat and acts like the wick of candle. However, the local police never bought the "wick effect" story so her death remains a mystery. (Source 1 | Source 2)
4Parents Claim the Cause of Their Baby's Burns is Spontaneous Human Combustion
The attacks occurred three more times so Rahul was admitted to the hospital for a battery of tests, all off which came back normal. Questions about child abuse and neglect were raised, but his parents maintain their innocence. It has also been noted that several homes in their village burned in 2004 because of the presence of highly flammable phosphorus in the building material. Rahul is expected to remain with child protective services until the cause of his mysterious burns is uncovered. (Source)
5Neighbor Sees Flames Bursting from a Paraplegic's Abdomen
The neighbor called for help, but by the time she returned with it Kim and the wheelchair he was in were just a pile of ashes. Only his feet were left intact. Strangely, the nearby curtains and clothing were completely untouched by fire, despite the heat that would have been necessary to turn Kim into ash.
(Source | Photo)
6Knight Vomits Fire After Drinking Two Ladles of Wine
7Nothing Left of Doctor Bentley but a Lower Leg and Slipper
The doctor was a known pipe smoker and it was believed that the ash from his pipe ignited his robe, but his pipe was still on its stand by the bed in the next room. The perplexed coroner ruled the incident as "death by asphyxiation and 90 percent burning of the body." (Source | Photo)
8Italian Countess is Reduced to Ash and Coated with a "Greasy and Stinking Moisture"
The candles on a nearby table had lost all of their wax and only the naked wicks remained. The grease had also settled on the windowpanes and the furniture was covered in a moist soot. As in most cases of spontaneous human combustion, the fire was localized to only her body, and the bed she had been sleeping in was untouched. (Source | Photo)
9Salesman Survives Spontaneous Human Combustion
Angel later shifted his story, and told his lawyers that he had been sprayed by scalding hot water while trying to fix the camper's water pressure, but changed his story yet again when he appeared on That's Incredible, a TV show which featured reenactments of allegedly paranormal events. (Source | Photo)
10Fishmonger's Wife Burns to Death After a Night of Drinking Gin
The next morning her daughter discovered Pett's remains. Her head was resting against the fireplace grate and her torso, described as appearing like "a block of wood burning with a glowing fire without flame,"was stretched across the hearth. There was no fire on the grate, the candle was burnt out, and the clothes and a paper screen were untouched. It was decided that there was some internal cause for the burns on her body.
(Source | Photo)